How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken
Rotisserie chicken is a tasty chicken dish that is cooked using a rotisserie, which is a style of cooking that entails skewering meat into rods and placing the rods over direct heat while turning the chicken constantly as it cooks.
Widely popular, it is mainly used by restaurants and food joints to roast and barbeque chicken and other bird meats. Ready rotisserie chicken is also available in stores, and you can also make yours at home.
It is a dish that is a lifesaver on those lazy weeknights; as it helps you get a quick and easy meal on the table within a short duration of time.
It is a versatile meal that can complement a variety of different recipes whether it is mashed or baked potatoes, fried rice, or steamed veggies.
The ease of the “grab and go” of this dish from the grocery store also makes it an ideal choice of meal on busy days, and you choose to eat it whole or have it shredded. It is exceedingly convenient as you can even refrigerate the chicken for a few days earlier than its intended usage.
You can use leftover rotisserie chicken for other recipes such as sandwiches, potpies, chicken tacos, pasta, salads as well as noodles.
Not to outweigh the health benefits of rotisserie chicken; it is packed with a lot of protein, vitamin B-12, and other minerals, making it super healthy and nutritious.
How to reheat rotisserie chicken in an oven.
You may decide to use a regular oven or a rotisserie oven. Having the right oven would ensure that your food turns out moist and retains much of its original taste, without great effort on your part. It also ensures that the juices in the food are spread evenly, giving you perfectly cooked food.
Reheating the chicken in the oven is one of the best ways to keep it moist and tasty. You may need to be gentle while heating it so as not to dry it out as the chicken is already cooked.
When reheating the chicken in the oven,
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then place the chicken on an aluminum foil before placing it in the oven.
- Prepare the baking dish by adding a bit of chicken stock or water to it (make sure it is less than a quarter-inch of the baking dish).
- Place the chicken on the baking dish and reheat it for 20-25 minutes depending on your preference.
- Before you remove it from the oven, make sure the liquid is bubbling, and the chicken is evenly-heated.
Using this method ensures that the chicken is kept moist during reheating.
You may also choose to reheat it with or without an aluminum foil. Heating the chicken with the foil helps to maintain the crisp of the chicken.
It preserves the taste especially if it’s a grocery bought chicken. Heating without the foil is more likely to dry out the chicken. If you prefer extra crispy skin, turn the oven on broil and place the chicken back in, for a few seconds.
Observe it as you do this so that it is not overcooked. Always use a thermometer to ensure the chicken is evenly done before removing it.
When reheating the chicken combined with other ingredients, you will slice small pieces of the veggies, like bell peppers, and any desired juice before heating it. You can then experience the tasty meal!
How to reheat rotisserie chicken in a microwave.
Reheating food more so the chicken in a microwave is very convenient, especially when short on time. While using a microwave may not be the best way to reheat rotisserie chicken, there is a way you can do it just right.
The trick is to heat the chicken pieces rather than the entire chicken at once.
- Remove the bones from the chicken, as bones often reheat faster than the actual meat, and may cause the meat to dry which dries out the chicken.
- Separate the pieces of the chicken and wrap up each piece in a damp microwave-safe paper towel.
- Place these wrapped pieces in a microwave-safe dish and heat at timed intervals, checking each time until you have reached your desired temperature.
Alternatively, you may prefer moist chicken. You can heat your preferred source, salty water or broth then place the chicken pieces in the hot liquid.
In case you would like to reheat a whole chicken, place the chicken in a microwave-safe dish and place it inside the microwave. Reheat this to medium temperature until 165- 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to reheat rotisserie chicken in a Grill.
This method requires having a reliable thermometer to ascertain whether the chicken is well done. There are many suitable varieties. These including meat thermometers with dials, instant-read thermometers or digital thermometers.
When it comes to reheating rotisserie chicken on the grill, low and slow is the best method. A slow to moderate barbeque grill is most effective; 300 to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
For this method, ensure that the chicken is covered correctly so that it doesn’t dry out or burn. Keep checking and turning the meat frequently.
How to go about it,
- Cut the chicken into evenly spread pieces to ensure even heating during the grilling process.
- Depending on the thickness of the meat, you may choose to pound the meat gently. (Avoid doing this because the meat is already cooked.)
- Lightly oil the grill grates, then preheat the grill gates to low-medium-high heat.
- Once you set the grill at the right temperature, place the chicken pieces in a single layer and space them out evenly. Since the chicken pieces are already cooked, they will take less than 3 minutes on each side.
- Keep checking the meat using an instant-read thermometer to ensure that the meat is evenly grilled. Do this by inserting the thermometer into the thickest part of the flesh without touching the bones.
- Do this until the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the minimum safe temperature for cooked chicken.
You may choose to leave it to grill for longer depending on your preference. You can also cut into one piece of meat to see if it’s well-done.
Once the chicken is done, take the pieces off the grill grates and place them on a clean plate. To preserve the juices in the meat, let the meat rest for a few minutes before serving.
Note: Remember to clean your thermometer with hot, soapy water after use.
How to reheat rotisserie chicken in an instant pot.
An instant pot is a type of multi-cooker that can perform several functions including reheating food. It has become increasingly popular for its multi-purpose services and its ‘delayed start’ feature.
With this feature, you can set it so that the food is ready exactly when you need it. The instant pot allows the user to choose different types of reheating options depending on the type of food.
These include: steaming, slow-cooking, sauté, and the food-warming function.
Food that is in an instant pot needs to have some liquid or oil. The instant pot is also a viable option for reheating food for anyone who does not prefer to use a microwave.
To reheat rotisserie chicken in an instant pot,
- Pour some water into the pot. This water is required to make steam that would be used to heat chicken.
- Insert the trivet while making sure you fit in the right place and then place the chicken on the trivet. As the chicken already contains fat and some moisture, it may not be necessary to add some oil.
- After that, cover your food with a piece of aluminum foil to ensure the condensation does not drip into the chicken.
- Finally, close the lid of the instant pot then set the vent as sealed. Set the instant pot on steam pressure for 5 minutes.
- Quick-release pressure of the instant pot. Keep testing the chicken’s temperature to ensure it is just right.
- You may need to reheat it for 1-3 minutes more if needed. You can also use the drippings and leftover liquids to make broth.
While using the instant pot, it is essential to remember always to use heatproof containers. They are typically referred to as ‘pot-in-pot’ containers and can include storage bowls and mason jars.
This method is lauded as a better alternative to using a microwave which is considered unhealthy.
Well-reheated rotisserie chicken whether it is done through the oven, grill, microwave or instant pot, will still retain much of the original nutrients, taste, and flavor.
As you reheat your chicken, it is essential to use only the pieces of chicken that you will be consuming. Avoid heating the food more than once. It is a great way to save money, time, and resources.
In case you are still left with some leftover rotisserie chicken and wondering what to do with some of them, check out some recipes. You can also shred the chicken into plates before serving.