How to clean an air fryer
Whoever invented air fryers deserves the very best in life. We didn’t even know we needed air fryers until they existed. Air fryers make mealtimes a breeze. Honestly, my life has become way easier than when I didn’t have one.
Most American households have embraced air fryers. If you love deep fried foods then you ought to get an air fryer.
Air frying gives the same results as deep frying, and it is a healthy option. Besides, you don’t have to deal with greasy utensils and the mess that comes with deep frying. In order to cook, you have to place the food inside a basket. The basket is closed and any extra oil usually drips onto the tray below.
The air fryer uses very little oil thus the food is healthier than deep fried food.
Air fryers were invented to make meal time a breeze. Which is great because we know how busy some weeks get. You get home and you just want a quick fix that still tastes yummy. Air fried foods taste great.
Air fryers are relatively easy to use. Your kids can even make their own snacks with it, which makes it pretty convenient.
If you want your air fryer to last for as long as possible, you have to maintain it properly. Proper maintenance includes proper cleaning of the air fryer. Cleaning an air fryer is so easy. It is easier than cleaning a deep fryer, I promise.
For proper cleaning, there are a few tips and tricks that you need to learn. Once you learn them, you will avoid making common mistakes that would cause damage to your air fryer. Your air fryer will serve you well for much longer.
First things first, always make sure you unplug your air fryer and let it cool down for a couple of minutes before you start cleaning it. You need to wash the basket, tray, and pan after every use. You can wash them by hand like any other dish using warm water and soap. Alternatively, you can always toss them in the dishwasher if you do not feel like washing them by hand. Each air fryer usually has dishwasher-safe pieces but just check your manual to make sure the three can be washed in a dishwasher.
If the pan and basket have grease on them, soak them in hot soapy water for approximately 30 minutes. After soaking, use a scrub brush to remove the grease since it would have softened.
You also need to clean the interior of your air fryer. To do this, remove the basket, pan, and tray from inside the air fryer and use a damp cloth that has some soap to wipe it down. Wipe thoroughly so that there is no dirt left in the interior.
The outside of the air fryer does not get dirty hence there is no need to clean it frequently. However, you still need to clean it once in a while. You should clean the exterior the same way you clean the interior; using a damp cloth that has some little soap on it. Make sure you have unplugged the air fryer before cleaning.
You should also clean the coil of the air fryer occasionally. Simply wipe it using a damp cloth after the air fryer has cooled down.
Also, Check Out These Tips.
- How to Reheat Pork Chops Without Drying it out
- How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken
- How to freeze and reheat mashed potatoes
How to clean air fryer basket
The air fryer basket is where all the magic happens. Each air fryer comes with a basket. That is where you place whatever you want to cook.
You can use the basket as it is or you can invest in some air fryer basket accessories that will enable you to make a wider variety of foods in the air fryer. I suggest investing in a few accessories that will make your cooking experience even better.
Cleaning the air fryer basket is pretty simple. You can either clean it by hand or use a dishwasher. Here is how to clean the air fryer basket.
- Turn off the air fryer and unplug it. Let it cool down for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the basket and pan from the air fryer if you want it to cool faster.
- Once it cools down, start cleaning the basket. Normally, the basket is dishwasher safe. However, read your manual just to make sure it is. If it is, load the basket in the dishwasher and run the normal cycle.
- To wash the basket by hand, simply use soap, warm water, and a non-abrasive sponge. Wash it like you wash any other dish.
- Once you finish washing the basket, dry it in the air fryer. Put the basket back into the air fryer and turn it on for approximately 3 minutes. The basket will dry itself out.
Air fryer cleaning hacks
Although cleaning an air fryer is easy, there are a few simple hacks that everyone ought to know. Here are a few hacks that may come in handy when cleaning your air fryer.
- Use foil when frying messy items to make clean up easy
Use foil or parchment paper when frying messy items like wings coated in a sticky sauce to make the cleaning the air fryer easy. Simply place the items on a foil on top of the air fryer basket. This will ensure that the air fryer does not get so dirty.
Make sure that the food items hold the foil down. Otherwise, the foil will fly around the basket with other food items during the air frying process.
- Wash the air fryer immediately after use
This simple hack will make your cleaning work so much easier. Don’t let the air fryer sit for days before you clean it.
The sooner you clean it, the easier it is.
- Use baking soda and water to get rid of foul smell
Foul smell coming from the inside of your air fryer is usually an indication that there are food particles stuck inside it. A simple paste of baking soda and water can get rid of the foul smell.
Form your paste using the water and baking soda and use it to thoroughly scrub the interior of the air fryer using an old toothbrush or a brush. The odor will go away completely.
- Don’t use utensils to remove stuck-on food
I know how tempting it is to use a spoon or fork to remove food that is stuck inside your air fryer. Most people make this mistake which causes damage to the air fryer.
The inside of the air fryer has a coating that can easily get damaged. Any damage to it will disrupt the normal functioning of the air fryer. Just use a sponge to remove food particles.
- Soak in hot soapy water for easier cleaning
Soaking the pan and basket in soapy water will soften any food that is stuck on them. This will make the pan and basket easier to clean.
- When cooking in batches, only clean after the last batch
If you are cooking consecutive batches of food, do not clean the air fryer after every batch. Only clean when you have finished cooking the last batch.
- Let the basket self-dry
Once you are done cleaning the basket, place it back into the air fryer and turn it on for approximately 3 minutes. This is the best way to dry the basket.
- Never submerge your air fryer in water
Like any other electrical kitchen appliance, an air fryer should never be submerged in water. Doing so will ruin it.
Clean it using a damp cloth instead.
How to clean baked on grease from air fryer basket
Grease is annoying. If there is any grease in your air fryer basket, it is important that you clean it. Otherwise, any food you cook in the basket will have a weird taste. This is because when you use the air fryer, the heat makes the grease melt thus tainting the taste of your food. Sometimes it even makes the food smell terrible.
It is important that you clean baked on grease for efficient cooking. The air fryer basket should be cleaned after every use to prevent a buildup of grease. Otherwise, cleaning the basket will be way harder than it should be.
Here is how to clean baked on grease from your air fryer basket.
What you will need
- Hot water
- Sponge/ soft-bristled brush
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Turn off the air fryer and unplug it. Let it cool down for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the basket from the air fryer.
- Place the basket in a filled hot water sink and let it soak in the hot water until the grease breaks down. This will take 20-30 minutes
- Pour some bicarbonate of soda onto a sponge and start rubbing it onto the basket. It will form a paste. You can use the brush to remove any remaining traces of food or grease.
- Air-dry the basket properly before putting it back into the air fryer. Alternatively, you can let it dry in the air fryer by placing it inside the air fryer and turning it on for 2-3 minutes.