Can you freeze Miracle Whip?
The miracle whip is one of the most sought after dressings that are remarkably versatile and essential in your kitchen. It can be used in a variety of snacks and recipes, including salads, and sandwiches.
Moreover, this relish has a distinct and zesty zip as compared to all other condiments. With its extraordinary, consistent texture and super creaminess, you’ll always want this dressing for your sandwiches. Furthermore, all this sweetness comes with half the calories and fat.
Can you freeze miracle whip? Yes, you can. In case you can’t use the miracle whip in one sitting, freezing it will give it an extended shelf life of up to four months since it’s created with freezer-friendly products such as egg yolks, and cornstarch, which freeze incredibly well. Depending on your preference, you can freeze in portions or the entire jar.
Miracle Whip was created in 1933 as an affordable substitute with the same easy to find ingredients like vinegar, eggs, and oil.
The only difference is that miracle whip also has spices and sugar. Also, because it has a low oil content, it’s classified as a condiment or dressing.
Also, Click below to check out
- Can you freeze scrambled eggs?
- Can you Freeze Mozzarella Cheese?
- Does mayo go bad? How long does it last?
- Can You Freeze Sour Cream?
Steps for freezing miracle whip adequately
When freezing your miracle whip, always put in mind that you can apply two methods.
- You can place it in the freezer directly using its original container.
- You can divide the miracle whip into portions and store them into individual smaller jars in the freezer.
Regardless of your preferred method, it’s essential to follow a specific guide. Like all other food products, note the date of expiry written on the jar.
When miracle whip stays past its time of consumption, always discard all contents in the container.
- Equally, divide the contents of the jar into smaller portions. Preferably, divide them into the amount you need for each serving to heat the right quantity.
- Place a label on each of the containers, which include the date of expiration and freezing.
- When you choose this method, go for airtight jars since matters regarding space in the freezer may arise.
Place the entire jar with miracle whip into your freezer and take it out when ready to use the condiment.
Although it’s the easiest method, the downside to this process is that you may forget about the whip, which ends up getting spoilt. You can only reheat and freeze twice, making it an impractical choice if you don’t plan to use the miracle whip sooner.
Why freezing miracle whip is beneficial
In case you may be wondering why it’s important to freeze miracle whip, you’ll realize that it will give you a multitude of possibilities, as listed below.
- Save money-When you have readily prepared miracle whip for your sandwich and snack; you don’t have to go to the grocery store. You swing by your kitchen and season, whatever you want to eat.
- Reduce food wastage-Most households indulge in food wastage behavior. Freezing essential ingredients such as miracle whip helps you to take control of portions while solving this problem altogether.
- Controlled portions-As, the adage states, “too much of something is poisonous.” When it comes to miracle whip, this rule applies significantly. Luckily, you can solve this problem by storing it in portions. In turn, you’ll reduce wastage and improve on convenience.
- Unmatched convenience-This is probably the leading benefit why you must freeze miracle whip. You will never have to cringe about this dressing going bad.
- Make snacks and sandwiches in bunches-Nothing gives you the comfort of coming back home and knowing you have some sandwiches stashed away in the freezer. For instance, you can use miracle whip to make tuna and chicken sandwich then eat when ready.
How to make miracle whip at home
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 80 ml of boiling water
- 3 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 2 egg yolks
- 100 ml of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cup of oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Use an electric mixer or blender and thoroughly mix 80 ml of lemon juice, powdered sugar, salt, and egg yolks until well blended.
- Reduce the blender speed, add one cup of oil to the mixture, and combine it slowly.
- Increase the blender speed and add the remaining oil into the batter. Add the remain 20ml of lemon juice
- Once they are well mixed, turn off the blender.
- Boil water then add vinegar, mustard, and cornstarch into the hot water until they become smooth. Continue heating in a pan on low heat until it smoothens. Ensure it doesn’t become too thick.
- Start running your blender and add in the mixture and blend well until the ingredients mix well together.
- After blending, pour the mixture into a clean airtight jar then place it into the refrigerator. Allow to cool down before you can start using it.
For consistency, always use a blender or electric mixer. Vinegar and lemon also help to bring out that tanginess in your dressing.
What is the taste of miracle whip?
Nutritionally, miracle whip contains half the calories and fats found in other condiments. In case you’re watching your calorie intake, it’s the best option for snacks and sandwiches.
It’s sweetened using corn syrup and high-fructose, giving it a higher sugar level. The miracle whip is also spicier as which some people prefer as compared to its non-spicier substitutes.
How to reheat miracle whip
You may wonder if you can safely heat miracle whip and enjoy it with your sandwich. As discussed earlier, miracle is a condiment containing eggs and oils; therefore, you can heat it in a microwave without overdoing it.
This will help you to enjoy your sandwich warm. To achieve the best result, warm the miracle whip in 10 seconds interval until warm enough.
Some of the foods you can comfortably heat with a miracle as a dressing include potato salad, lobster or shrimp rolls, dip such as artichoke dips or French onions, quiche, tomato pie, frosting, deviled eggs, broccoli salad, and tuna salad.
How long does a miracle whip remain fresh?
To be on the safe side, you can still use an unopened miracle whip one week after its best by date. Regardless of things such as best before date, use-by date, or sell-by date, this condiment won’t stay long despite the high concentration of fat made in the dressing.
Because of the egg’s acidity, spoilage may slow down. However, when using it after a long time, you may notice the difference in time from the time you bought the jar. For best and enjoyable results, always enjoy your seasoning when it’s still fresh.
On the other hand, a homemade miracle whip will spoil a little faster than the one you purchased from the store. Fresh miracle whip does not undergo any processing; thus, it has a reduced shelf life.
Is miracle whip a vegan product
Miracle whip isn’t vegan; instead, it’s an affordable substitute created with the egg component as one of the main ingredients. Luckily, you can find a vegan miracle whip in the market to cater for vegetarians.
The best example that doesn’t contain eggs making it vegan-friendly is ingredients spice, garlic powder, natural flavors, turmeric powder, salt, paprika, mustard, dried cane syrup, pressed expeller soybean, and vitamin B12. It also has guar gums and xanthan, lemon juice, vinegar, and soymilk.
How to make vegan miracle whip at home
¾ cup silken tofu
1 cup of water
¾ cup of flour
½ cup of vinegar
½ cup of sugar
¾ cup of vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon of dry mustard
Pour the vinegar, sugar, water, and flour in a pan and cook until the mixture thickens. Afterward, place the silken tofu, dry mustard, salt, lemon juice, and vegetable oil in a blender.
Allow it to mix thoroughly for the best consistency. Add the flour combination into the blender and continue mixing.
This homemade miracle whip has a sweet and tangy taste that goes absolutely well with vegetarians. It tastes the same as the regular miracle whip.
What are some uses of miracle whip?
Apart from being the best dressing for the sandwich spread and salads, it can also work as a product for hair care, skincare, and making precious metals look new.
When you use a washcloth to apply a little bit of whip miracle on your feet, dead skin falls off. For better results, let the condiment sit on the affected area for 10 minutes then wash off with warm, clean water.
Additionally, you can use miracle whip to moisten dry skin, tighten pores, treat small burns, and soothe sunburn marks. When you rub the dressing on your jewelry, lamps, and brass, the vinegar that’s present will polish the metals.
It can also help with conditioning your hair for 30 minutes before you can wash using shampoo.